Sunday, August 16, 2015

Skimming Long Winded Sales Blurbs

If you are going to display long-winded sales blurbs, it's good to have alternatives.

Either give readers options up front eg, click here for video, to read about this, or hear audio.

I haven't heard any with an audio option, but it should be an option because people can be doing something else while listening but not if they are stuck watching a "video" presentation of written slides.

Some of the slide presentations I have watched don't let one go ahead, but they do have a pop-up that tries to convince you from leaving their page should you try to exit.

How do I deal with them?

If I'm stuck in a lengthy slide presentation, I exit and if a pop-up appears advising me I can read the content, I begin reading it. But I skim. I get a general overview of the topic and then go straight to the end of the document only stopping to read something if it is riveting enough to grab my attention.

When I get to the bottom I can see what is being sold, for how much, and decide if I'm interested. If I am, I may then return to read some of the blurb.

If there are no alternatives, I simply pull the plug and move on.

What do you do?

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.