Monday, August 10, 2015

Fail: The Long-winded Sales Blurb

With a background in adult education, I'm good at reading. After all, I have read thousands of student assignments. I love reading. 

Working with assignments taught me to read by skimming first and then by reading successive sentences, paragraphs and pages.

I use the same technique when I proofread a client's work. First I do a quick skim to get a general idea about the content and the writing style. Next, I read the whole document(s) from top to bottom. As I progress, I mark-up errors.

This brings me to the topic of sales blurbs. Here's an example of what I mean.

Some internet marketing "gurus" say that long sales blurbs are best. I say they are a bloody nuisance. I hate long sales blurbs and videos.

Perhaps you've been victim to them. You find a nice little ad that promises to tell you the, "10 Ways to Skin a Cat" if only you would spend a few seconds and read this very important message.

So, you click on the link and one of two things happens:

  1. There is a presentation video or PowerPoint-type slide set with or without a talking head
  2. You are taken to a text blurb
In either case they go on and on, ad nauseum, all the while telling you they are going to explain the 10 ways to skin a cat.

After what seems forever and a lot of waffle about how great their idea is and how it's been tried and tested by dozens of people, the article gets to the crunch. If you would only subscribe to this course, download this ebook, or buy this product, all your dreams will come true; you will be the best cat skinner in Australia. Yeah, that's right.

You've been lied to. You haven't been told the best 10 ways to skin a cat, you've been invited to buy a product. You click the x at the top right of your screen and leave. Thoroughly disappointed and disenchanted.

When the video style presentation runs on and on, I usually get bored to death and simply leave the site.  I imagine many others do too.

There is a better way to do this which I will discuss in my next post.

Have you come across these long-winded sales blurbs? What do you think of them? Comment and let us know please.

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.