Saturday, May 5, 2012

Working Smarter: Responding to Requests for Quotation

If I had $10,000 to spend at your computer store and requested a quotation, how long would it take?
Last week I walked into a local computer and white goods store and asked for a quotation for $10,000 worth of computers and associated equipment that a sales representative and I had selected. Without the quote, I cannot raise a purchase order. No purchase order, no sale.

Three full working days have passed since the sales rep told me he would email me the quotation "this afternoon". I'm still waiting.

It's now Saturday and Monday is a public holiday, so there's no chance of receiving the quote until Wednesday. If I do not receive a quote by Wednesday, I will find another computer supplier and obtain a quote from them.

Interestingly, in last weeks news media an article appeared advising readers that the firm concerned had experienced a 44% drop in profit for the past quarter (see it here). I'm not surprised.

This isn't the first experience I have had with firms not getting quotations in as and when requested. You can download my e-report, "Improving Business Quotations" from the Gifts tab in which I include a case when a firm missed an opportunity for a $300,000 contract because they missed a deadline for quotations. (You don't have to sign up to download).

Have you had experience with tardy businesses who want your business, but don't meet deadlines?

Robin

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:06 AM

    Getting trades people to turn up at the agreed time is just as bad as the quotes challenge.

    They obviously have too much work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.