Saturday, April 28, 2012

Working Smarter: Can Your Business Be Contacted?


A survey by BIA/Kelsey and vSplash previously released the following findings from Small to medium businesses (SMB) DigitalScape:

  1. "Six out of 10 SMB websites in the US are missing either a local or toll-free telephone number on the home page to contact the business.
  2. 74.7 percent of SMB websites lack an email link on their home page for consumers to contact the business.
  3. 65.7 percent of SMB websites lack a form-fill option to enable consumers to request information."
I've often found Australian web sites that do not readily provide their contact details, so it's probably a reasonable assumption that if Australian sites were surveyed, the results would be similar to those of the US.

The first thing I think when I go to a site that doesn't provide contact details is that maybe the owners have something to hide; perhaps their product or service is a scam. So, I move on. (I was once a police officer, so I'm a suspicious type!)

The Australian Guidelines for Electronic Commerce recommends placing contact details on the home page so that the business is readily identifiable. When you think of it, it makes good sense. After all, how can you answer potential customers' queries if you don't have some way to communicate with them? How will they ever buy from you?

Does your site have contact details that are easy to find?

Robin
UWE5QJ8ZZ3N6

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the author. There's nothing more that pisses me off than not knowing where a site is located and what the contact details are.

    Always sounds suspicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. I've now redone my site and included easily seen contact details.

    I'll be interested to see how many more people contact me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.