Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Working Smarter: If You Have a Topic, Stay On It!

Twice in the last couple of years I have joined Business fora and within hours, or days, have been hounded by religious people wanting to share with me their religious mythology. In the first case, the forum, a US-based Ning site was chock full of relevant, useful commentary, blogs, and sensible and intelligent discussion about aspects of business. I enjoyed participating in the site and lasted about six weeks when finally, I couldn't take any more.


The religious emailed me, commented religious nonsense on my blog posts and so on. I wrote to the offending writers asking them to focus on business and not religion, but none complied. I complained to the forum administrator with no luck, so deleted my account and reluctantly withdrew from the forum.

Earlier this week I had a similar experience with the Australian Business Contacts Ning site. This time I could see the writing on the wall and deleted my account after about three days.

If I wanted to discuss religion, I would join a forum about religion.

Establishing a site purporting to be a business site and then flogging religious ideology would be fraudulent if money or other goods or services changed hands. At least, it is distasteful and puts people like me on the defensive. No way to run a business ... or a forum.

Honestly, I don't care what people believe or want to discuss among their cohorts, but I object to people trying to sell me religious ideology packaged as a business forum. The point is, if your topic is dogs, don't discuss tigers and kangaroos unless it is directly related to something about dogs.

If people wish to run a business contacts site for Christians, Buddhists, Hindus or any other specific faith group, then the title should say so.

Have you had similar experiences? What did you do?

Robin

Working Smarter - Helping You Improve Business Performance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.