Saturday, February 11, 2012

How Can You Work Smarter if You Don't Read?


How can you work smarter if you don't read?


After a bumpy start at education, in my late twenties I decided to try again and enrolled in part-time university classes. One of the first subjects for which I enrolled was Introduction to Management. Our set text was Management by James Stoner. My copy has long gone, but surprisingly, when I did an Internet search I found it is still in print.

I had a great lecturer and looked forward to my weekly three hour management classes. Not only did the course open up to me a lot of common sense ideas that I knew most managers weren't adhering to, it made me realise how easy most aspects of management are if only one is proactive. For example, Stoner talked about such sensible concepts as planning to avoid crises. And yet, where I worked, in the local police department, we ran into seemingly avoidable crises every day.

In the ensuing forty years (my oh my is it really that long?), I have read hundreds of other books about management and associated topics. The world has changed a lot during that time. Now there is more emphasis on international management, green or environmentally friendly management etc, but the basic principles of management have never changed. They involve planning, organising, leading and controlling.

The point I make here is that if you wish to run a quality organisation, you need to learn some of the theories available from those who have expertise in the various fields. As the world becomes increasingly complex, those who don't keep their finger on the pulse of what's happening, will be left behind.

What's the best book you have read that has helped you in business?

Robin

Sign up for PayPal and start accepting credit card payments instantly.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:56 AM

    We do need more of our managers to learn management and leadership. Most of the managers I have worked for were hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my experience too. Of all the managers I have had only one or two were excellent. The rest were not proactive and just drifted along dealing with crises as they occurred.

    Thanks for commencing anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.