Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Do Architects Work Smarter?

Every time I visit my local Mc Donald's store, I am exasperated. I might add that I don't visit too often, but when I do, I'm exasperated. "Why?", you ask. Because the layout and design of the business is among the worst I have ever seen. Let me explain.

The building must have been designed with the thought in mind that there would be few customers at any one time. When you walk in the narrow front door, several metres away are three cash registers sitting on a bench that faces you. So when there are more than maybe six people, which there always are, you queue in such a way that you obstruct the entrance. Anyone coming in who wishes to walk into the seating areas has to fight their way through the queue of hopeful customers.

If that's not bad enough, when you park in the parking area, vehicles queued for the quick service window obstruct the U shaped parking area. Some cars can neither reverse out of parking places because they are obstructed by waiting motorists, others cannot enter the car park because the traffic flow is blocked by cars going through the car park to the servery.

Now, I'm not an architect or an engineer, but every few days I see something that has been designed by someone who should have taken up dancing, cricket, or anything else but design. These people are certainly not working smarter. They are a menace to society.

Have you had an experience of something that is a design failure? We'd love to hear about it. If you are an architect responsible for some of these failures, for goodness sake, get another job.

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Comments with inappropriate content or spam will not be approved.